[Dixielandjazz] Whiplash

Charles Suhor csuhor at zebra.net
Sat Jan 17 12:39:47 PST 2015

I saw WHIPLASH last night and was also disappointed, Patrick. The acting was superb, the teach and student being brilliant. But the part of the harassing teacher was over-written to the point of unbelievability, as you suggest. As a drummer I can say that if you practice until the joint between your thumb and forefinger is bleeding, you won't be back playing the next day with the bandaid-and-ice cure. Also, playing superfast tempos isn't best served by tensing up, grimacing and forcing it all out. That's how you take a crap when you're constipated. Relaxation and use of finger control and bounce are a key. I've seen Max Roach, Ed Blackwell, Buddy Rich, and others do insanely fast tempos without breaking a sweat.

I did enjoy the big band jazz, although my taste runs more to combo jazz in all styles. As for extended drum solos, they can be a bore when they're mere showmanship (read: showing off technique). Well-formed solos, though,are as enjoyable to me as those on other instruments. Max set the standard for taking interesting multi-chorus solos then coming back in on the first beat of the next chorus, with the band following just where he was all the way. Shelly Manne was another pioneer. Innumerable modern jazz drummers have done it ever since, with varying levels of skill.

I think that the rave reviews for the movie have come from people who appreciated the fine acting but didn't care to consider a reality check on the probability of the events in, or the musical aspects of the film. In comparison, I think that "'Round Midnight" and the much maligned "Bird" were far more touching and real.

Charlie