[Dixielandjazz] Jabbo Smith--who's scatting?

Charles Suhor csuhor at zebra.net
Fri Jan 16 15:13:51 PST 2015

Hello, Dave--

Very interesting piece! Thanks. I looked up Jabbo in my early edition (1960) of L. Feather's ENCYCLOPEDIA OF JAZZ. He gives basic bio info, but assigns no historical importance to Smith. Fast forward to the NEW GROVE DICTIONARY OF JAZZ,1991, and there's high praise. Same is true of Gunther Schuller's and Ted Goaia's jazz histories. I want to go back and compare the 1929 Jabbo recordings with Red Allen at that time. Allen is often said to the (or "a") stylistic evolutionary link from Louis to Eldridge, but the Jabbo that I've heard in my review seems the more likely candidate. Jazz never stops offering refreshing ways of looking at its history and its artists.

Charlie