[Dixielandjazz] Lead Sheets for Trumpet

Ric Giorgi ricgiorgi at sympatico.ca
Wed Jan 14 10:29:00 PST 2015

Hi Barbara,

Without going into the detailed history of how notation for instruments
developed.... Different instruments make sounds that are the same pitch but
the way they are notated is different. In the case of vocalists, pianos,
violins, string basses for instance if you gave them all one note on a staff
to play, it would sound the same.

If you gave that same note to a trumpet player, a clarinet, any of the
saxes, a french horn etc, they would not sound the same pitch as the
vocalist made and they would all sound a different pitch from each other.

In the case of the trumpet, the sound it made playing the same written note
that you sang would be a whole step lower than what you sang. So if you sang
a middle C because that's the note that was written, and the trumpet player
played that same written middle C note, it would sound like a Bb (which is
why it's called a Bb trumpet).

Hope this helps.

Ric Giorgi
Conductor