[Dixielandjazz] George Probert

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Mon Jan 12 06:28:32 PST 2015

Along with the Lu Watters YBJB, the Fire House 5+2 was my earliest introduction to “Dixieland Jazz.” I loved George’s wailing soprano sax in that band. I always felt that his sound was a great part of the FH5+2’s distinctive sound.

Of course as I grew up and became a professional musician I met and then played with George many times.

My first time seeing the band live was at the ill-faded Monterey Dixieland Festival in 1968. It was held at the fairgrounds where the Monterey Jazz Festival was held. The hope that it would continue each year did not happen as the weather was very cold and rainy and the attendance was very bad.

It was a great line up of bands and musicians including Louis Armstrong and the All-Stars.

That was the first time I met Louis. And I can proudly say that i played on the same show as he.

-Bob Ringwald
Bob Ringwald Solo Piano, duo, Trio, Quartet
Fulton Street Jazz Band
916/ 806-9551
Amateur (ham) Radio station K 6 Y B V

Why do I have to press one for English when you're just gonna transfer me to someone
I can't understand anyway?