[Dixielandjazz] Death Notice saxophonist Jim Galloway; Buddy DeFranco and Terry Gibbs-- 2 videos

Norman Vickers NVickers1 at cox.net
Sat Jan 3 09:54:12 PST 2015

To:  Musicians & Jazzfans list;  DJML

From: Norman Vickers

Toronto resident saxophonist Jim Galloway died a couple of days ago.  Here’s
a brief note from Jim Eigo’s Jazz Promo service.  Galloway was Scottish born
and longtime Canadian resident.  When there is more detail, I’ll pass along.

I had opportunity to hear him live only once—it was a wonderful experience.
One of my favorite CDs is  a duo album of him and pianist Art Hodes
performing live from Toronto’s Café des Copains.

Link below is from Doug  Ramsey’s  Rifftides  blog on Arts Journal website (
one may subscribe, of course)   There are two blazing videos of Buddy
DeFranco and Terry Gibbs performing on the Johnny Carson Show.

Sad news from north of the border as well, Jim Galloway - saxophonist and
founding artistic director of the Toronto International Jazz Festival passed
away yesterday evening at the age of 78 ..

http://www.artsjournal.com/rifftides/2015/01/weekend-this-that-defranco-gibb
s-peck-ziskind.html

--End--