[Dixielandjazz] Clark Terry R.I.P. -- Washington Post, February 22, 2015

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sat Feb 28 18:11:27 PST 2015

On 01/03/2015, at 1:07 AM, Robert Ringwald posted:
> Clark Terry, Jazz Virtuoso with Basie, Ellington and ‘Tonight Show,’ Dies
> by Adam Bernstein
> Washington Post, February 22, 2015

Dear Bob,
Clark Terry was invited to Australia in December 1974 as a playing guest for the 29th annual Australian Jazz Convention at Croydon in Melbourne.
A six-day event.
Some of us mouldies wondered about the choice, but were captivated as soon as we met and heard him.
A friendly, easygoing man he immediately (and willingly) mixed freely with everyone and everywhere, including an unforgettable late-night session in a marquee for an impromptu hour-long limerick session initiated by one of Australia's jazz characters, trombonist, the late Dave Rankin.
Clark Terry even asked to sit in with my band for a set.
And there are pics and a recording (somewhere) to prove it.
Kind regards,
Bill.