[Dixielandjazz] Doris Day (!)--pop/jazz continuum

Graham Martin grahmartin at bigpond.com
Mon Feb 16 16:59:44 PST 2015

Hi Charlie,

I am not quite sure about that description of "non-jazz" singer. But Doris
Day was most certainly one of the best of the big band vocalists of the
1940s when she was just a teenager (17) with Bob Crosby and then lured away
by  Les Brown for his Band of Renown. That was all long before going solo
and then to Hollywood. Certainly Les Brown himself was impressed by her
vocal style and readily admitted it was Doris who catapulted the band into
international popularity. I suppose the best known recording of that period
was "Sentimental Journey" but that was only one of many great vocal
performances. I will say they are definitely filed in my "jazz" record
collection.

Frankly, I was not that fond of the later popular recordings from the films
but you would have to thank the early band experience for grooming one of
the biggest film stars of the 20th Century. I must say that I wince a bit
when I hear something like the "Deadwood Stage (Whip-crack-away!)" from
Calamity Jane but it was a very successful movie. It does not worry me
greatly because I have three CDs to remind me of her earlier career with
Les.

Best,

Grah

Graham Martin, REDLAND BAY, Queensland, AUSTRALIA