[Dixielandjazz] Back online here in Monty; a fun revivalist band

Charles Suhor csuhor at zebra.net
Sun Feb 15 10:23:50 PST 2015

Back on line here in Montgomery, AL, too, after the recent hiatus.

In recent postings I had reservations about some revivalist bands, while praising Tuba Skinny. One of the bands that I enjoyed in the past was the Memphis Nighthawks of Champaign/Urbana, IL. Several interesting things--a bass sax and guitar or banjo furnished the rhythm. The reedman, Ron DeWar, was also an accomplished modernist. So was the trombonist on the track below. The cornetist was clearly Bix-influenced. Their repertoire was wide ("Flat Foot" here). I heard them in 1966-67 when I was a grad student at U of I. (I returned 10 years later and stayed for a 20-year day job). The band did some stunning things--e.g., a rousing Dixieland version of Sweet Georgia Brown, with DeWar using modern chops on soprano sax, then on the last chorus they played Miles Davis' "Dig" chart that's based on the SWG chords. Somehow, they pulled it off.

Charlie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0w-mS95h3I