[Dixielandjazz] Kid Ory story

Ernie Landes ernlan at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 12 15:16:21 PST 2015

In one of the many bios of the Kid's life, there's a story about the tune "Do What Ory Say", where the last 4 lines are:
"What did Ory say,What did Ory say,If you don't like the way I do, thenTino Vino How".
Of course he was asked to explain the last line.  He said it was a Creole phrase, but he couldn't publish it in a family piece, so if you want to know what it means, you have to buy the Kid a drink and he'll tell you.
Well, guess what, I was in the audience digging the Ory band in San Francisco, probably at the "On the Levee", the old "Tin Angel" on Embarcadero.  At the break, he walked right by my table, and I stood up and asked him if I could buy him a drink.  He sat right down, and of course I asked him the big question.  He answered the Creole phrase meant "kiss old Ory's ass"!
True story.
Ernie LandesSun City StomperzPeoria, AZ