[Dixielandjazz] Gene Hyden

Dick Baker djml at dickbaker.org
Tue Feb 10 19:24:10 PST 2015

Norm et al,

I knew Gene well during his stay in Virginia in the 1970s &
1980s.  Coincidentally, I was talking to Audrey Van Dyke just two
days ago and she mentioned that a January 27 posting on the Facebook
version of DJML by Deano Assunto (of the Dukes of Dixieland Assuntos)
reported that Gene was near death.  I found my way to it just
now.  Assunto's first note was:

"Spoke to a good friend tonight Gene Hyden who will be leaving us
soon. I was able to say goodbye and thank him for his friendship . . ."

A while later he added this:

"He's a retired Vietnam veteran an avid Jazz photographer and
supporter of our Family's quest for being properly historically
acknowledged.  He's been fighting a hard fight for the past few years
of complications due to diabetes and he told me tonight that he gives
up so no more dialysis treaments because it's left him with no
quality of life.  So no more treatments."

--
      Dick Baker
  djml at dickbaker.org