[Dixielandjazz] Duke's band-one example

Charles Suhor csuhor at zebra.net
Fri Feb 6 11:25:48 PST 2015

A version of the comments below was part of an off-list message to Marek Boym. But since the topic is "swinging," and the examples are from Ellington's bands, I thought I'd add it to this strand.--Charlie

 I (and many others, like Gunter Schuler, Marshall Stearns, Ted Goia) believe  it was the mid- and late 20s recordings of the Hot 5 & 7, Louis and Hines, Bix, Jelly's band, etc., that defined "swinging" for the jazz community, as opposed to zippy "getting hot". The internal evidence--listening to the recordings--supports that.  (I'll grant there are exceptions to this, but they don't disprove the observably overwhelming changes.) Ellington's early recordings underline this. The 1925 recording below is replete with chunky ragtime phrasing and other signs of pre-jazz. Fast forward to 1930, and the soloists have mostly assimilated a swinging jazz conception. Dig Bigard, in particular. And behind him Duke is actuallly COMPING, prefiguring piano backup of the swing and bop eras.
Bottom line--after the teens and early 20s, most jazz moved to a more fluid conception--I'm okay with saying that the playing "evolved." The trad revivalists, starting roughly with Lu Waters, returned to some of the earlier elements, IMO without capturing the core emotional essence of the foundational players.

Charlie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5g8IBsx8t4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaSKL1iqpf8