[Dixielandjazz] Any recent news of Gene Hyden?

Norman Vickers NVickers1 at cox.net
Wed Feb 4 10:03:31 PST 2015

To:  DJML and Musicians & Jazzfans list

From: Norman Vickers, Jazz Society of Pensacola

Re: Searching for recent news of Gene Hyden

Many of you on these lists knew and admired Gene Hyden.  He had a career in
the Washington, DC area and was active as photographer/jazzfan in that area.
He was one of the co-founders of the Jazz Photographers association, now
essentially inactive.  About a decade ago he retired and moved to New
Orleans to pursue his jazz/photography interests.  He survived Katrina.
Then while in New Orleans about a year and a half ago, he had a medical
crisis

and required temporary hemo- dialysis for some kidney failure.  He recovered
sufficiently and was moved to Salina, KS where daughter worked as a nurse.
During his time in Salina I talked with him by phone and there were a few
e-mail from him.  He then, I understand, moved out from daughter's home  and
was living with a relative- a grandson, I think.

Now, telephone # I had doesn't work and e-mail bounced.  I even sent a
post-card to his last-known address hoping that if he'd moved, it would be
forwarded.  And it was returned as "undeliverable."  I even went to the
website of the Salina, KS newspaper and searched the obituaries  with no
result.

DJML listmate Derek Coller and I are searching for information about Gene
Hyden-so the search goes on from two continents.  If you have helpful
information, please contact me directly so as not to clutter the list.

Thanks all.

Norman Vickers

Jazz Society of Pensacola

Nvickers1 at cox.net