[Dixielandjazz] Duke and the Stride pianists?

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Tue Feb 3 14:40:05 PST 2015

On 4 February 2015 at 00:12, ROBERT R. CALDER <serapion at btinternet.com>
wrote:

> Duke Ellington's models were "the stride pianists who swung like Hell"?
> Which stride pianists and when,

James P. Johnson and - probably - Willie the Lion.  Elloington siad that he
learnt to play the piano following the keys on a players piano when
listening to James P. Jhnson, I believe - Carolina Shout.  When?  Probably
in the early '20's.

> when did stride pianists BEGIN to "swing like Hell"?

Always, probably.  I have never heard them not swinging.  Even now I cannot
think of anybody who could outswing Fats Waller,

> Ellington started really to swing when in the wake of a general enthusiasm
> for King Oliver's band, roughly the band later led by Louis Russell, he
> signed the New Orleans bassist Wellman Braud. There was also a saxophonist
> who disgraced himself by way of a lawsuit -- when he left Oliver for
> Ellington he brought along a piece of music which it was not his to bring.
> There was also Barney Bigard, and there was Cootie Williams, protege of a
> legendary Southern trumpeter called Chris Kelly, and before there was
> Cootie there had been Bubber "It don't mean a thing..." Miley, who went
> with Garvin Bushell to listen to what was being done in Chicago --  and of
> course Duke Ellington was one of the first pianists to record with Sidney
> Bechet (alas documentation is thorough only as far as confirming they did
> work together, there is no audio record).
>
> Ellington certainly swung in "Hot and Bothered" and that species
> composition has been taken up by later stride pianists, Clarence Profit to
> Johnny Guarnieri, Dick Wellstood etc...  But when did stride pianists start
> to SWING rather than present virtuoso rhythmic tours de force?

As I've said - ALWAYS.

Cheers