[Dixielandjazz] How Playing An Instrument benefits Your Brain

Charles Suhor csuhor at zebra.net
Sun Feb 1 11:09:54 PST 2015

Interesting. A 1994 book, James Berliner's "THINKING IN JAZZ: The Infinite Art of Improvisation" deals with jazz and cognitive processes from a different angle, but brilliantly. I believe that jazz improv has many similarities to ordinary language production, both being generative of unique musical or linguistic "ideas" from a "deep structure," in Noam Chomsky's sense.

Charlie