[Dixielandjazz] wgjb & Scott Hamilton

ROBERT R. CALDER serapion at btinternet.com
Sun Dec 27 14:25:09 PST 2015

I did see the WGJB (World's Greatest Jazz Band a fun name) with Dick Wellstood and Benny Morton (the junior trombonist's name eludes me) replacing Ralph and Vic and Carl Fontana (Bud still there, with other originals) -- and there was a later version I heard live with Warren Vache and Kenny Davern, but other memory failings aside I was especially struck by Scott Hamilton's contributions, not least in ensemble, where he made a really singular contribution to the overall texture. What an ear!  Just by chance I heard his album with Gerry Mulligan the other day,  recorded quite some time ago but with a remarkable feel for the other man's sound, and the overall sound.

Not the least hint of the mud there can be when tout ensemble sinks into too ensemble,

and I've never seen him praised for doing that so extraordinarily,

Robert R. Calder