[Dixielandjazz] applause and Bud Freeman

Charles Suhor csuhor at zebra.net
Sat Dec 26 23:12:49 PST 2015

Speaking of Bud, I’m just catching up with the strand that discussed the box set of Condon with Freeman Commodore sessions—I just got through hearing the entire set. Thanks for recommending.

I was never a huge fan of Freeman but I came away with a greater appreciation of his invention. And the vintage Chicago jazz of Wild Bill, Kaminsky, Pee Wee, Wettling, and the less raw but fine performances of Hucko, Hackett, and Dixon were a joy to hear. In some cases, to revisit. I had several of the sides on 78 rpm in my teens. I wasn’t converted, though, from my bias against the tenor sax in the Dixieland front line. It still seems to obscure the wonderful clarity of the trumpet/bone/clary interplay.

Re applause between solos, that has never bothered me except when it’s an automatic after every solo, with no difference in intensity proportionate to the excitement or originality of the solo. When audiences do show some spontaneity, it’s a sign of authentic response--I’m encouraged that they’re actually listening. This is confounded, of course, when a soloist gyrates and grimaces a lot, whether naturally or as a showcasing antic, or too often quotes cutely from other tunes as a crowd-gooser.

I’ve long found myself wishing that at classical music concerts, the convention of not applauding between movements would give way to earnest applause, especially when the performance is brilliant. Let joy ring out. There’s no question of drowning out the next movement, since there’s a pause in between anyway. In operas, a fine aria often meets with applause and bravos. Double standard there.

Charlie