[Dixielandjazz] Support live jazz

Gary Lawrence Murphy garym at teledyn.com
Fri Dec 25 17:18:13 PST 2015

While not Dixieland, last Tuesday night, on a Tuesday, a midweek and two
days before the holiday, I had been asked by Jake Parker Scott if he could
use my venue as he's home from college for the holidays and would otherwise
be bored.  I said sure, we'd pass around the can to pay him.

They played free jazz, Ornette Coleman style, here, in a little city 200km
from Toronto, a hockey town with only a marine-navigation/nursing college
... and my place was packed!  And not only that, the audience was
enthusiastic, totally into the sound and the scene, albeit they were 75%
college kids home for the holidays, but still, this wasn't standards, it
wasn't swing or dixie or even Second Line.

I found the audience strangely encouraging.  Unfortunately, being largely
college kids, they didn't spend much, several were counting coins to buy a
half-pint, but still, that they were there, mid-week, and there for a jazz
that wasn't anything like they'd hear on even the jazz-fm radio stations!

--
*Teledyn Addendum: teledyn blogspot ca*
*eso: **EighthStreetOrchestra blogspot ca*