[Dixielandjazz] STEVE LANE - MICKY ASHMAN

Graham Martin grahmartin at bigpond.com
Mon Aug 24 19:09:28 PDT 2015

G'day All,

That is sad news indeed for this old fan of Steve Lane's Famous Southern
Stompers with Pam. The band I played with in the 1950/60s was The Bodega
Jazz Band, led by my old mate Derek Winters, and it was one of the
consortium of jazz bands that Steve formed in the 1950/60s. Also I wrote a
couple of articles for Steve's jazz magazine.

We attended the Southern Stompers' Ealing Jazz Club on a regular basis , not
least of all because of Pam the vocalist, who I knew from an early
association with the Diogenes Jazz Band, where her brother Brian Heagren was
the trombone player. Actually it was Brian who suggested I give up playing
drums and take up the trombone, changing my jazz life entirely and giving me
a passionate interest that has lasted until the present day. Brian lives in
Germany these days and the last thing I heard was that he was going to make
a come-back.

It was probably that old Steve Lane nostalgia that gave me the idea to name
my Aussie band "The Southern Bay Stompers".

Vale Steve, thanks for all the memories and your dedication to old time
jazz.

http://www.londonjazznews.com/2015/08/rip-steve-lane-1921-2015.html

Graham Martin
REDLAND BAY, Queensland, AUSTRALIA