[Dixielandjazz] BBC's Jazz Score

Ken Mathieson ken at kenmath.free-online.co.uk
Fri Aug 14 14:37:03 PDT 2015

Hi Folks,
Further squeezing  of the memory cells led me to a book on my shelves
entitled "The Best of Jazz Score" compiled by Roy Pellett (ISBN
0-563-36326-6) and a quick google showed that it had run On BBC RADIO 2
in numerous short series between 3 Oct 1981 and 26 Aug 1997. The book is
also currently listed by both amazon.co.uk and amazon.com if anyone
wants to go chasing it. Either Roy Pellett had recorded huge swathes of
the programme privately or he had access to BBC Library recordings when
compiling the book. I know I've got a few cassette recordings of the
show somewhere and, if I can find them, I'll have a listen to see if
Slim's tiple monologue is there. What I did find in my copy of the book
is Roy Pellett's brief precis of Slim's tiple story (I suspect Slim's
tale was long, rambing, very relaxed and a lot funnier than it appears
in the precis):

"Tiples were miniature guitars with ten strings - something like a
mandolin. The brothers Wilbur and Douglas Daniels used to play them with
the Spirits of Rhythm. Actually they were very popular with singers and
singing groups in the 1930s."  That's it and, if that's all he said, I'm
sure it sounded better in Slim's mellow tones. In truth, all the
anecdotes sounded better in the words of the speakers on air - all very
spontaneous and with natural comic timing that doesn't translate easily
into the written word.

Regards,
Ken