[Dixielandjazz] Comes the Don

Steve Voce stevevoce at virginmedia.com
Mon Apr 13 03:59:03 PDT 2015

Andrew has asked me to elucidate.
I was in the artists' bar at the Manchester Free Trade Hall with Don Byas. A band was on stage, so we were alone.
Don was telling me about his snorkelling hobby.
'I sit at the bottom of the Mediterranean for hours, ' he told me. 'It keeps my lung muscles in shape and it helps generally with my muscle strength. I'm very strong generally.
'Let me show you. You're a big guy and I'm only small. But I'll bet I could throw you over the bar.
'Give me your hand. I won't hurt you. You'll land on your feet.'
'No thanks, Don. I'll take your word for it,' I said, edging away.
He followed me round the room.
'No, let me show you! I promise I won't hurt you.'
By this time we were circling the room, Don with his hand stretched out.
I circled backwards, cautiously, to the door out of the bar. As I backed up towards it, it opened and Eddie Lambert came in.
'Hi, Eddie!' I said. 'Have you met Don Byas?'
'No,' said Eddie, stretching out his hand to Don.
I slipped quickly through the door and away.
I never did like the sight of blood.

SteveVoce