[Dixielandjazz] Fw: Bechet and Noone and Dodds

ROBERT R. CALDER serapion at btinternet.com
Sun Apr 12 01:35:52 PDT 2015

>Steve Voce has discreetly informed me that he asked Bechet why he was no longer performing on clarinet. I would not doubt that it was Bechet-Voce,  but I understood from what Eddie Lambert said all those years ago that he had had the experience.  I don't imagine it's beyond consideration that the same question had the same response to both of these writers whom I hold in high regard -- but at least it's clear Bechet would not have appreciated the question, regardless of which distinguished writer asked him.  I apologise to Steve for any discomfiture.
>
>I also have to apologise for getting the discographical details wrong about the Jimmy Bertrand session, but at least I've been thanked by someone for pointing them to "Goin' Huntin'." Johnny Dodds on top form recommended by me from somewhere below my best.
> My
 one real disappointment hearing Louis Armstrong came last week, in a for this site non-OKOM context, where his voice had been dubbed over the last part of a broadcast with Steve Lacy in 1960 taking a solo as member of a Thelonious Monk quintet not otherwise recorded (I'd like that one to be wrong!). with Roy Haynes and John Ore. Praise be to YouTube!

>good wishes,
>Robert R. Calder

>>Sent: Sunday, 12 April 2015, 8:55
>>Subject: Re: [Dixielandjazz] Bechet and Noone and Dodds
>>

>>It wasn't Bechet-lambert. It was Bechet-me!
>>
>>Steve Voce
>>
>>Sent from my iPad
>>

>>> On 12 Apr 2015, at 05:57, ROBERT R. CALDER <serapion at btinternet.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I remember Steve Voce has reported the element of the
 Bechet-Eddie Lambert conversation, "why do you play soprano these days to the exclusion of clarinet?" though for tender ears transposing from the original Bechet response beginning with an F, quoted by Mr. Lambert in person.