[Dixielandjazz] Bechet and Noone and Dodds--lower register

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sun Apr 12 00:22:05 PDT 2015

Charles Suhor wrote:
> Just listened to the "Goin' Huntin'" track on YouTube. Thanks. Fine ensemble interaction between Louis and Dodds, as might be expected from those "young veterans" in 1927. An off-the-cuff reflection--Here and elsewhere on early records, Dodds and other clarinetists play beautifully in the lower register. I'm guessing that the advent of microphones and recoding sessions must have promoted masterful lower register clarinet far beyond what was possible in noisy dance halls and night clubs before amplification. I don't remember reading about this or hearing about it in the oral tradition, so I'm just speculating. Any insights would be appreciated.

Dear Charlie,
I am sure you are right about clarinetists taking advantage of the microphone for low register playing.
As to not happening in noisy dance halls, I refer you to Johnny Dodds, one of the earliest (and best) recorded exponents of low register playing, accentuated in no small way by his strong natural vibrato.
Listen to his work on the 1923 King Oliver records made in the pre-microphone era.
Particularly under the driving cornets of Oliver and Louis.
"Canal Street Blues" and "Working Man Blues" immediately come to mind.
Very kind regards,
Bill.