[Dixielandjazz] Combo on Trixie Smith recordings?

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Fri Apr 10 14:55:38 PDT 2015

Charles Suhor wrote [in part]:

> I revisited a “Ladies of Jazz” 3-CD set and was fascinated on three levels by Trixie Smith’s 1938 rendition of “My Daddy Rocks Me with One Steady Roll.” ...I especially liked the clarinetist—could be Jimmie Noone? Or not. Does anyone have the info on the sidemen?
> Second, when I went on YouTube I found that Trixie Smith had first recorded the song 16 years earlier—in 1922. What a huge difference in her conception and the band’s! ...The 1922 record is of historical interest, but only the mouldiest of fygges could prefer it as jazz listening. (Who, by the way, was in the earlier combo?)

Dear Charlie,
Herewith as requested.

•Trixie Smith Acc By The Jazz Masters:  Black Swan 14127, Paramount 12164
Trixie Smith (vcl) acc by unknown c, tb, cl , prob. Fletcher Henderson (p) unknown tu.
New York, c. September 1922
    My man rocks me (with one steady roll)

•Trixie Smith: Decca 7469
Trixie Smith (vcl) acc by Charlie Shavers (t) Sidney Bechet (cl,ss) Sammy Price (p) Teddy Bunn (g) Richard Fullbright (b) O'Neil Spencer (d)
New York, May 26, 1938
   My daddy rocks me

And here is the Jimmie Noone rendition:
   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWWvAuHwDXk

•Jimmie Noone's Apex Club Orchestra: Vocalion 2779
prob. George Mitchell (c) prob. Fayette Williams (tb) Jimmie Noone (cl) Joe Poston (as) Zinky Cohn (p) Junie Cobb (bj) Bill Newton (tu)Johnny Wells (d) May Alix (vcl)
Chicago, July 11, 1929
  My daddy rocks me (with one steady roll)

As a mouldy fygge, I like them all.
<big grin>
Very kind regards,
Bill.