[Dixielandjazz] Jazz

ROBERT R. CALDER serapion at btinternet.com
Sun Apr 5 04:44:41 PDT 2015

<imagine half a page blank.
Lives

Richard
McQueen

Wellstood

Netiquette is on the one hand remembering not to have a huge trail of message and response and message and response and and and ...after a posting

Can I please ask that when forwarding what was initially not text, whoever does the forwarding uses any control button to SWITCH TO PLAIN TEXT before actually pressing SEND or FORWARD .....

AND DOES ANYBODY KNOW WHAT HAPPENED TO THE COLLECTION OF TAPES REPUTEDLY INCLUDING DONALD LAMBERT AND WILLIE GANT WHICH SEEM LIKELY TO HAVE BEEN IN DICK'S RESIDENCE AT THE TIME OF HIS UNTIMELY DEMISE DURING THE JAZZ PARTY ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE CONTINENT?

Dick was advance-booked to play in Edinburgh the year after he died --  Ralph Sutton was there, just as he'd been in the vicinity when Dick died.  I suppose he was taking Dick's gig, playing with incredible passion,

I have somewhere a hissy cassette from 1987 when Dick substituted for one of Humphrey Lyttelton's THE BEST OF JAZZ shows on BBC radio,  the recordings played all Dick's selections.  I can't lay hand on the item at present but presume there are other copies -- his choices included Ray Charles and other mild surprises. I did once try to find the private tapes of Dick with the English guitarist and  blues singer Jo-Ann Kelly,   but somebody else has done that and they're on CD.  Ms. Kelly was staggered when told Dick had died, but she poor woman was a fair bit younger and didn't outlive him by long.

This is more a day to remember what their music in memory and on record can still do!

Robert R. Calder