[Dixielandjazz] Willie Hightower. (Was CD query: Blue Steele, Vintage Music Prod.)

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Fri Apr 3 16:11:46 PDT 2015

 Marek Boym wrote:
> I wonder what people who worry about poor sound would think of the HIghtower reissues?

Dear Marek,
When I started collecting in earnest back in the late 1940s, that Willie Hightower Black Patti "Boar Hog Blues/Squeeze Me" record was considered the rarest of all jazz classics. Along with King Oliver's "Zulus' Ball".

Willie Hightower's Night Hawks.
Willie Hightower (c) John Lindsay (tb) Fred Parham (cl/as) Richard M. Jones (p) Bud Scott (g) Rudy Richardson (d)
Chicago. c. July, 1927

When the Hightower sides finally came out on LP Historical (HLP 30), we were not disappointed with the remastered sound quality.
Because it was as bad as we had anticipated.
However, after the long wait, what did let us down was the actual music.
We had been expecting (hoping for) was an unheard Joe Oliver - Freddie Keppard style New Orleans cornet pioneer.
As my friend John RT Davies once said, "All jazz classics should be remastered from the original 78 every ten years to take advantage of technology."
I have the Hightower on the Historical LP, a Hot 'n' Sweet CD and the latest Archeophone OTRMM10 CD "Cabaret Echoes".
John RT was right.
The Archeophone is excellent plus.
To these old ears.
Kind regards,