[Dixielandjazz] FW: Shorty with a St. James twist

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Mon Sep 15 23:28:34 PDT 2014

Regarding Trombone Shorty, Steve Voce wrote:

In the excellent St James Infirmary he used a large section of the Cab Calloway version from the 30s. Maryk's outlook isn't particularly old fashioned, it's just very narrow!

Steve Voce

I don’t feel that Marek’s outlook is all that narrow. Face it, this recording of St. James Infirmary is quite a departure from what we have been listening to, from the beginnings of Jazz up to the beginnings of Bop.

In less capable hands, this could have been a real travesty. But, these musicians pulled it off.

Personally I’d rather listen to Eddie Condon, World’s Greatest JB, Turk Murphy, Lu Watters, Jim Cullum, and some of the other great bands from the UK, Europe and Australia.

But I gotta hand it to Trombone Shorty, his St. James Infirmary is one show-stopper and I can dig it.  .

Perhaps Marek might come around one of these days if he does ever get over the shock and if his pacemaker can take it.

-Bob Ringwald