[Dixielandjazz] tv series

Patrick Ladd patrickjladd at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 14 03:43:18 PDT 2014

<<The original *meaning* of 'burlesque' was not strippers but farce, having
the poor and uneducated (and unskilled) dolting about up on stage while
being hooted and laughed at as they did their utmost most absurdist
rendition of how they perceived the rich and educated classes.>>

We had no such thing as Burlesque in the UK. We had Music Hall.  Is there a
difference?  Certainly none of the Music Hall which I saw as a youngster
fits the description of `poor and uneducated and unskilled`.
They may not have been `sophisticated` but they were very skilled indeed.
The sort of skills which we now only see on Cirque de Soleil. Balancing,
acrobatics, trapeze work. Certainly there were different acts. Seals
balancing balls or playing God Save the King on the trumpet. Dogs performing
tricks,  Brilliant conjurors. Yes there were chorus girls with what would
now be considered very simple dance routines. There were strippers. I
remember seeing `Jane of the Daily Mirror`. Jane was a daily newspaper
comic strip which ran all through the war, and this was her `in the flesh`
but all the acts were the result of talent and years of practice. Would you
call Burns and Allen untalented. Yet their roots were in vaudeville.
As for a straight line between the vaudeville performers to the stars of
today. I saw Ted and Barbara Andrews who were a popular and established
music hall act. (He played piano and they both sang) They introduced their
daughter aged about 13 and I remember this little girl in button up shoes
and a plain schoolgirlish frock  singing on what must have been one of her
very early appearances on the boards . You may have heard of her now. Julie
Andrews.

As for jazz and `pop`. We tend to forget that `pop` is merely a shortened
form of `popular`. It is not a `genre` on its own, The Big Bands were the
`pop` bands of their day. The bands which recorded the Music Hall hits of
the day, `There was I waiting at the Church,` ` K K K Katy`, `My little
Octoroon`  `I wouldn`t leave my little wooden hut for you`and so on were the
pop bands. Jazz was obviously popular in the South and spread throughout the
States and finally worldwide. By definition that is `pop` music. The fact
that it changed or that there were other types of music running alongside
does not invalidate that.

Pat