[Dixielandjazz] tv series

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Tue Sep 9 02:29:46 PDT 2014

I watched a program called "All You Need Is Love" which was advertised as
being "Tony Palmer's epic series" on Jazz.  The fact that he used a Beatles
song title for a Jazz show tells it all.

There were comments by prominent jazzers such as Dizzy, Hoagie, etc., but
many of the comments were strange & didn't fit into any of the things we all
assumed about the beginnings of Jazz.  The notes on the series actually said
that it "reveals that New Orleans may have stolen the limelight when it
comes to the origin of Jazz".

The comments made follow along the lines recently discussed here on djml
about where the word Jazz came from.  The fact that the weirdly put together
hour long show was "from a script by Leonard Feather" raised my eyebrows
evern further.  They were already practically up to my hairline!

Has anyone else seen this show?

Jim