[Dixielandjazz] Blue yodel no. 9

Anton Crouch anton.crouch at optusnet.com.au
Thu Sep 4 01:33:35 PDT 2014

Hello Bill, Joán and Jack

I realise that "Lil is the pianist" is now the received opinion for the
July 1930 Rodgers/Armstrong recording and that I could be thought of as
tilting at windmills by bringing up the matter again. The lead sheet
mentioned by Jack and Bill is enough to settle the matter.

There is a broader point however - the tendency of "encyclopaedic" sites
to not give sources for information that corrects or adds to primary
sources. This tendency seems to have reached as far as the Discography
of Victor Recordings at the University of California at Santa Barbara *.
The details for "Blue yodel no. 9 (matrix PBVE-54867) show Lil Hardin
Armstrong as the pianist but give no source for the information. The
record label and the Victor ledgers give no information with regard to
names of accompanists - indeed, the label shows "Singing with orchestra"!

Don Anton Quixote

* now part of DAHR (Discography of American Historical Recordings)