[Dixielandjazz] Here is some real country Blues

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Wed Sep 3 19:38:51 PDT 2014

 Anton Crouch wrote [in part] regarding:

> ...the identity of the pianist on the Jimmie Rodgers/Louis Armstrong recording of "Blue yodel  no. 9"...
> Bill is firmly with the majority in opting for Lil Armstrong.
> The problem is that the pianist doesn't sound like Lil. A more reasonable identification is that the pianist comes from the LA band in which Louis Armstrong was the star soloist - the New Sebastian Cotton Club Orchestra. Hans Westerberg ("Boy from New Orleans", 1981) suggests either Harvey Brooks or L Z Cooper).

Dear Anton,
Well, old friend, it sounds like Lil to me.
Always has.
Hans Westerberg agrees with Stanley Dance that Earl Hines "seemed more likely." [No way.]
But he only indicated that "others suggested are" Brooks or Cooper.
On the the other hand, Louis expert , the late Jos Willems, in his definitive 2006 Louis Armstrong discography 'All Of Me', confidently names Lil Armstrong.
Kind regards,
Bill.