[Dixielandjazz] Here is some real country Blues

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Wed Sep 3 01:51:57 PDT 2014

Stan Brager wrote [in part]:
> ...I was surprised that she didn't name Jimmy Rogers as a favorite inasmuch as she sang his "Blue Yodel". The only factor making this somewhat appropriate for this mail list, is that Louis Armstrong accompanied Rogers on several tunes - all quite good in my opinion.

Dear Stan,
A minor correction.
Sadly, there is only one recorded side featuring Jimmie Rodgers and Louis Armstrong.
"Blue Yodel No. 9", made in Los Angeles for Victor on 16 July 1930, with Lil Armstrong on piano.
Based on the matrix series, there were no other sides made at that session,
For listmates who may be interested, it can be heard on YouTube at:
   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BFbY9Vw8DM
In October 197o, Johnny Cash invited an ailing Louis to recreate this Rodgers' recording on 'The Johnny Cash Show'.
This too is on YouTube.
   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47MeAVHpvxU
Very kind regards,
Bill.