[Dixielandjazz] Band Playing a Gig

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Thu Oct 30 06:42:00 PDT 2014

I wrote:

> My dear friend Nick Fatool, Now unfortunately gone, once told me, “As a

> drummer, if you can’t hear the front line, then you are playing too loud.”

Andy Ling answered:

Someone once said you should only notice the drummer when they stop. :^)

BR- I heard the same comment about bass players. The person that invented a bass amp should be shot. Or have a bass shoved . . . . Well, you know where.

Andy Ling continues:

One of the things I find odd is that often when setting up the band will

say X can't be heard, so they turn up X. Then maybe the same for Y etc. But they

never turn down all the others so X can be heard without making them louder.

BR- True. Of course you have heard the following:

“Dynamics??? I’m playing as loud as I can now.”

-Bob Ringwald
Bob Ringwald Solo Piano, duo, Trio, Quartet
Fulton Street Jazz Band
916/ 806-9551
Amateur (ham) Radio K 6 Y B V

Whatever you may look like, marry a man your own age.
As your beauty fades, so will his eyesight. -Phyllis Diller