[Dixielandjazz] Brian Lemon

Graham Martin grahmartin at bigpond.com
Thu Oct 23 16:47:59 PDT 2014

G'day All,

I was sad to hear of the passing of another of the musicians who were so
much a part of the jazz scene in the UK when I lived there. I find it very
difficult to believe that was over fifty years ago because it still seems
like yesterday. What a great 'hot' and 'cool' jazz scene it was in the
1950's and 60's!

Brian Lemon was very active with what we will call the 'mainstreamers' in
those days. It is only about a week ago that we were discussing the tune
"Sweet Georgia Brown" and I posted a link to a version by George Chisholm.
Charlie Suhor then said, and asked, "Beautiful trombone, Do you know who's
in the rhythm section?" I replied, "Yes, according to the Lake CD label it
is Brian Lemon (pno), Kenny Baldock (bs) and Johnny Richardson (The British
one, not the American) (dms). An impeccable rhythm section and all of them
were very active in my day in the UK." I think the description of
"impeccable" was absolutely correct and that was always my impression of
Brian's playing.

Vale Brian. Thanks for many evenings listening to your great playing with
some of my favourite Brit Bands.

Grah

Graham Martin

REDLAND BAY, Qld., AUSTRALIA