[Dixielandjazz] Free Form Music

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Sun Oct 19 14:49:16 PDT 2014

On 20 October 2014 00:08, Charles Suhor <csuhor at zebra.net> wrote:

> Okay, I get it--there's generally though not universally a low threshold
> of acceptance of free form music

Free form - what?

> I also get it that even art that stands the test of time often remains
> impenetrable to large numbers of people. As a retired English teacher, I
> publicly confess that I found Faulkner’s "Absalom, Absalom" and Joyce’s
> "Finnegan’s Wake" unreadable.

Have they really?  Joyce is widely celebrated, but do people read it?  I
still have to meet someone who's read "Ulysses" to the end.

> But I won't dismiss those works as nonsense or be flippant about the
> authors or readers who can respond to them with pleasure.

As to the authors - I neither know nor care.  But are there people who
really "respond to them with pleasure?"  Or might it be the case of the
emperor, some "clothing" and the little boy?I tend to believe it's the
latter.

Cheers