[Dixielandjazz] Jazz Standards, 'modern" and "free form"

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Sun Oct 19 04:17:34 PDT 2014

I must have already mentioned it on the list, but it is relevant to the
subject of "modern" and "free form."
I, like Pat, have encountered prople who said they didn't like jazz, but
then said that they liked dixieland.  They didn't even know it was jazz!
To them, jazz was all that noisy, squeaky stuff.
I didn't see "Round Midnight," even though I have recorded it off the
telly, because I could not withstand the "music" "played" by Dexter Gordon
for longer than five minutes.  Were that my introduction to jazz, I
probably would have bee among the ranks of jazz haters.  And mind you,
although my introducion to jazz was swing (actually - semi-jazz swing), I
knew all the Modern Jazz Quartet and Brubeck LPs by heart before I heard
even the name of Wild Bill Davison.  However, I found those increasingly
boring with listening, and I could not take Miles Davis from the very
beginning.  Unlike Pat, I confess often liking Dizzy Gillespie and Charlie
Parker, but in most cases I cannot listen thereto after a GOOD dixieland or
swing record.
Cheers