[Dixielandjazz] Jazz Standards

domitype . domitype at gmail.com
Mon Oct 13 21:25:28 PDT 2014

I often play in a group that covers a wide range of musical styles, from
"Trad Standards" to NOLA Hot Brass to "Post Swing Modern Jazz" - and also
some Pop Standards, R&B, Soul and Funk on occasion. As a bass tuba player
mostly experienced with the "Early Stuff" but growing up through the heart
of the Rock & Roll era, I still have some problems with playing some "Post
Swing Modern Jazz" without some rehearsal (which is not always available!)
The structure of many modern songs is not always clear to me, even if I
have heard (or even played) them many times. How many times will a chord
repeat until a change?  If there is a solo taking a lot of extended
choruses how do we know what to do when he is finished?
These questions may be elemental to most college trained or pro Modern Jazz
blowers, but I do get tripped up every once in a while in those situations.
But if the call is for a super fast version of "Indiana Changes" I know
exactly what to do!

David Richoux