[Dixielandjazz] Jazz Standards

Paul Kurtz Jr kurtzph at comcast.net
Mon Oct 13 18:47:32 PDT 2014

Stan, you have an interesting question here and if we could conclusively answer it and solve this, whoever did would be a millionaire.

Some commonalities are:

1. It has a catchy melody. Melody, a lot of times, makes people want to play the tune and then they adapt off of that.

2. It has potential for real interesting licks such as percussion stuff. The alternative to adapt a piece of music can make it adapt well to future situations.

3. The melody and its parts can be adapted to other worlds. i.e. Sweet Georgia Brown and the Globe Trotters basketball team That goes back again to that catchy melody that allows it to be adapted to another function.

4. There’s a positive message in the song. You either have to have a very positive message or a very negative one like St. James Infirmary to have a song get caught up for a long time.

These are just some suggestions although not by any means exhaustive.

Paul Kurtz Jacksonville, FL