[Dixielandjazz] What is Old Style Jazz?

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Mon Oct 6 14:10:55 PDT 2014

In the early 1990's, when the Breda jazzfest was still "OUde Stijl," I knew
tht I could be sure to hear great, or at least - good music there.  It  has
later become became just Breda Jazz Festival, but it still features lots of
OKOM, even if it hardly features organized bands, like in previous years.
However, on 4 October, Jazz on the Tube circulated a video of Von Freeman
and  Clifford Jordan, recorded at the 1988 Chicago Old Style Jazz
Festival!  If anybody on this list doesn't know, Von Freeman was among the
modern hazz pioneers in Chicago, and his relative obscurity is the result
of his reluctance to leave his home town - he did not even reply to Miles
Davis' invitation to replace John Coltrane in Davis' band.  Clifford
Jordan, too, is a modernist.
Despite his reluctance to travel, Von Freeman visited Israel to participate
in the "swing" section of a jazz series at the TEl-Aviv Museum, and showed
that, when needed, he could demonstrate an exhilarating swing performance!
Cheers (just having a very good wheat beer from the Arab village of Taybee,
located in the area administered by the "Palestinian Authority)