[Dixielandjazz] FW: "Black and Blue" lyric

Charles Suhor csuhor at zebra.net
Wed Oct 1 11:21:05 PDT 2014

Interesting exchange. I like Gary and May's approach of explaining the background of the song, which rescues it (though not to everyone's satisfaction, I'm sure) from being seen as inappropriate, or worse, a blatant cultural misappropriation. A different matter--in many settings the audience isn't interested in (or sober enough for) a thoughtful explanation, however beneficial that might be. I never sang the song on a gig, nor do I recall it being sung in bands in New Orleans during my years as a player and listener there, roughly 1946 to 1977.
To pose the appropriateness question more sharply, would any white musician feel comfortable singing "Strange Fruit"? It would need quite a sociological mini-lecture.

Charlie