[Dixielandjazz] "Black and Blue" lyric

Gary Lawrence Murphy garym at teledyn.com
Wed Oct 1 07:52:59 PDT 2014

thanks to Louis Armstrong, what was a broken hearted love song has
become a general purpose human rights anthem -- seems to me Louis
altered the lyrics later in his career (as he did to Sleepy Time Down
South, and some books say he altered them reluctantly).  With our band
it is easy since our likely vocalists have an ethnic history that
wasn't always 'accepted' by the mainstream, and in some respects still
isn't, so I tell them "channel your inner asian-ness" -- they could be
Polish, Italian, even Irish and understand at least in principle the
line lamenting being "white" inside.  I'm not certain, but I think
Louis may have changed that to "right" and even if he didn't, I'd
think that could work for just about anyone to take to heart, because
we've all had the experience of being excluded and bullied for what we
appear to be rather than for who we are, perfectly "right inside", and
"what is on my face" can be metaphorical.

--
*Teledyn Addendum: teledyn blogspot ca*
*eso: **EighthStreetOrchestra blogspot ca*