[Dixielandjazz] Armstrong's hospitality--Jim Kashishian tells similar story about trumpeter Teddy Buckner

Norman Vickers NVickers1 at cox.net
Wed Nov 26 07:53:12 PST 2014

To:  DJML and Musicians & Jazzfans list

From: Norman Vickers, Jazz Society of Pensacola

Our listmate, trombonist Jim Kashishian of Madrid, Spain related a similar
hospitality story about Teddy Buckner.

Thanks, Jim.

From: Jim Kashishian [mailto:jim at kashprod.com]

Subject: RE: Pensacola's Bob Maksymkow gives his version of Armstrong's
hospitality

I never had the chance to hear Louis in person, but the comments by others
here remind me of the way trumpeter Teddy Buckner treated people in his
audience.  As you may know, Teddy was used a few times in films when (I
guess) they couldn't afford Louis...as a sort of look-alike.  Teddy's jolly
stage presence was similar to Louis', and he was always gracious to anyone
that tried to speak to him.

For at least 2 years during my youth I went to the Beverly Caverns in Los
Angeles to hear his band...sometimes 3 & 4 times a week!

I noticed always, that he would collect all the right hands of everyone at a
table in his hands & then shake them all at once!  He never tried to rush
off, and was always, always polite & happy.

Once, at a concert honoring a recently passed musician, Teddy was playing on
stage, and you could see the cable from an earpiece he had in his
ear....baseball cap on his head.  He was listening to a ball game while
playing, but was as entertaining & charming as ever.

I can imagine Louis doing something like that!

Jim