[Dixielandjazz] Louis in Glasgow

Ken Mathieson ken at kenmath.free-online.co.uk
Tue Nov 25 16:57:40 PST 2014

Hi Robert et al,

Robert wrote:
>snip
"I was a bit too young and missed the gig, which was in a football stadium."
<snip

>From memory, none too reliable nowadays, the concert Robert describes was in
May 1962. I was in the middle of a series of crucially important
examinations for my accountancy degree when Louis and the All Stars played
an open-air concert at Ibrox Stadium in Glasgow. I actually had an exam the
morning after, but figured I might never get the chance to see Louis again
and, if I failed the exam, I could re-sit in September. Predictably I did
fail, but passed in the re-sit and, most importantly, I got to see Louis on
stage doing his show.

It was a glorious Spring day, but evenings in mid-May in Scotland can be a
bit cool and this was no exception. The local promoter who was putting on
the show had gone for overkill: the first half had an opening set by a local
band, The Steadfast Jazz Band, followed by a local pop singer who had
fleetingly hit the big-time, Karl Denver, followed by Chris Barber's band
with singer George Melly guesting. Everyone was there to see Louis, so we
all sat through the long first set with growing impatience. The PA in this
huge stadium consisted of a single mic centre stage. The Steadfast's
trumpeter stood up close to it and blasted straight at it to no great
effect, while Barber's trumpeter, Pat Halcox stood about 6 feet back and
again blew straight at it.

After the interval, Louis emerged and had some difficulty getting up the few
wooden steps to the stage. I think one of them had given way, anyway the
show was held up while a joiner fixed the step. Then the band came back out,
Louis was announced, then climbed the steps, placed the mic in front of Joe
Darensbourg, the clarinettist on the tour and played Sleepy Time Down South
on trumpet without the aid of the mic. He simply pointed his trumpet up into
the grandstand and out poured the most gorgeous sound, not loud but big, fat
and HOT. He used the mic for vocals, but not for his trumpet, which carried
clear as a bell. The band was Trummy Young, Joe Darensbourg, Billy Kyle,
Billy Cronk (bass), Danny Barcelona and Jewel Brown (vocals). The opening
bars of Sleepy Time were just electrifying; genuinely causing the hairs on
the back of my neck to stand up. The rest of the programme was routine All
Stars material with Indiana, The Gypsy, A Kiss to Build a Dream On, Mop Mop,
Tiger Rag etc. By the end, none of the crowd seemed to be aware of how cool
the evening had become.

If I'm honest, it probably wasn't the best gig I ever saw except for Louis'
astonishing personality, which held the public's attention all the time he
was on stage, and his famed "1000-killerwatt" smile. Years later, Benny
Carter told me that, of all the amazing people he had met in his life -
musicians, singers, movie stars, politicians, presidents, academics etc -
Louis had by far the most amazing personality. He could walk into any room
without saying anything and everyone would stop to look and smile at him; he
had the gift of being able to light up any company just with the sheer force
of his genial personality and everyone present would would be desparate to
talk to him.

I had a bit of explaining to do to my parents when I got home, but the
memory of that evening has lasted 52 years and rising.

Cheers,

Ken Mathieson