[Dixielandjazz] 50 Miles of Elbow Room -- probably not Buffum

Dick Baker djml at dickbaker.org
Mon Nov 24 16:41:51 PST 2014

The story so far, as to the provenance of this tune, most famously
(for us) recorded by Turk Murphy:

Bill Haesler reported that it was first recorded by the Vaughan Happy
Two in 1930, but the seminal early recording was 1933 by Rev. F. W.
McGee -- and McGee copyrighted the song in 1933 and renewed that
copyright in 1960.

But more than a few reliable-looking sources claim that the song was
written by Herbert Buffum, a famous and prolific writer of gospel
music.  At this point I picked up the cudgel and looked through all
the Buffum copyrights in the books from his first in 1910 until well
into the 1930s, several dozen in all.  Nothing like "Fifty Miles of
Elbow Room" in that list, but there was one song that seemed to have
the same underlying theme, called "There'll Be Room Enough in
Heaven," from 1923.

Could McGee have sung Buffum's song with a different title, perhaps
based on a line from the lyrics?  Well, there was, amazingly, a copy
of the published sheet on sale on amazon.com, so I just plunked down
my credit card and bought it.  (10 cents in 1923; $10 in 2014--at
least the inflation rate is easy to calculate.)  I've scanned it and
put it on my Stomp Off site for all to see:

                 http://stompoff.dickbaker.org/50miles/Buffum.pdf

Alas, it's a different song.  Lyrics not even close, and while I
don't read music, I doesn't appear to me that Buffum's lyrics could
be sung to the same tune as the Carter Family's and Turk's:

First verse:
         When our work on earth  is ended, and we lay our burdens down,
         And we answer to the final, solemn call;
         When we go to meet the  Saviour and receive the promised crown,
         There'll be room enough in Heaven for us all.

Chorus
         There'll be room enough in Heaven for us all,
         For the wise and foolish, for  the great and small;
         When we safely make the landing,
         There'll be no misunder standing,
         There'll be room enough in heaven for us all.

Now what'll we work on?