[Dixielandjazz] Bob Romans' account of meeting Louis and playing Satchmo's horn

Norman Vickers NVickers1 at cox.net
Sat Nov 22 06:38:46 PST 2014

To:  Musicians and Jazzfans list; DJML

From: Norman Vickers, Jazz Society of Pensacola

Bob Romans our trumpeter and listmate of Lodi, CA relates his story about meeting Armstrong and playing Satchmo’s horn.  Remarkably similar to other anecdotes we hear and read—Armstrong’s universal graciousness.

Thanks, Bob.  Ricky Riccardi, Armstrong biographer and researcher at Armstrong house is on our list.  Your story will likely be added to the numerous examples of Armstrong’s good will to all comers.

I have previously mentioned the friendship of Floyd and Lucille Levin to Louis and Lucille Armstrong.  Floyd was instrumental in sponsoring a concert in LA in celebration of Louis’ 70th birthday.  In acknowledgement, Louis sent Floyd a mouthpiece wrapped in notebook paper.  Written in pencil by Louis was “ I would have written sooner but I’ve been as busy as a one-armed paperhanger with crabs!”  This was donated by Floyd to the Jazz Museum at the Old Mint in New Orleans.  Presumably that  exhibit survived Hurricane Katrina.

Floyd used the proceeds from that concert,  supplemented by a $10,000 dollar donation by Bing Crosby, to finance the Louis Armstrong statue, sculpted in Mexico.  This was presented to the city of New Orleans on July1, 1976 and now stands in Armstrong Park in NO.