[Dixielandjazz] Anybody Out There?

Paul Kurtz Jr phktrumpet at gmail.com
Tue Nov 18 13:58:06 PST 2014

Me? I’m just sitting out here watching everybody ask if anybody’s out here. But, at the risk of being castigated, mashed, skewered, etc., I’ve been thinking about hybridization. In my corner of the world, good dixieland and trad gigs pop up when everybody’s celebrating Mardi gras. Other times of the year, I have to play other stuff. A jazz singer friend of mine named Dot Wilder just e-mailed me this morning and in telling her what I was doing, I told her I was hybridizing. I have to play everything from concert band music to old-time and new-time church music, to trad, to classical music. Now, I will say as a brass player, it gives me a chance to practice about every type of articulation, tone, expression, and everything else in the book as well as playing different kinds of trumpets as well as flugelhorn. But, those are the realities of a locally-known trumpet player.

Happy fall season and Thanksgiving to all.

Yes, I’m out here!

Paul Kurtz Jacksonville, FL

P.S. And yes, I do have some fun mixing my styles when i get opportunity. :-)