[Dixielandjazz] Monk and Pee Wee; other one-of-a-kinds?

Charles Suhor csuhor at zebra.net
Thu Nov 6 23:02:27 PST 2014

Yes, Fazola and George Lewis fill the bill. They were part of my and my brother Don's first record collection in the late 40s.. Faz was also  on a daily radio show in New Orleans and was part of the first Sunday jams at the Parisian Room. For a while, Pete Fountain literally imitated him and was called "Little Faz" until he developed his own style. My favorite Lewis record was the soulful "Tishomingo Blues" with Bunk's band. When be became more famous in the early 60s through Preservation Hall, it seems that countless trad clarinetists copied him slavishly, but not to good effect IMO. One of them,  Tom Sancton, told me, "I finally figured that the world doesn't really need one more George Lewis imitator." He has been playing ever since in a lyrical swing style

Charlie Suhor