[Dixielandjazz] Monk and Pee Wee

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Thu Nov 6 20:54:46 PST 2014

>> Monk did a concert playing several numbers with Pee Wee Russell. Does anyone know if it's on YouTube? I couldn't find it, maybe for lack of searching skills. That struck me as a fitting duo, since both are one-of-a-kind players, very eccentric and unique within their traditions. Any help would be appreciated.

Dear Charlie,
Sorry about the delay.
Busy, busy, busy here.
The Pee Wee & Monk recordings you recall are probably those from the Newport Jazz Festival recorded on 4 July 1963.
A George Wein idea to pair the two.
Two tunes, "Nutty" and "Blue Monk", were issued on CBS LPs in the late 60s and, later, on CD.
Pee Wee, Monk plus Charlie Rouse (tenor) Butch Warren (string  bass) Frankie Dunlop (drums).
Here is "Blue Monk":
   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jx9IyuDi6F8
Then "Nutty":
   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2Z35GZEkRU