[Dixielandjazz] Acker Bilk RIP

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Mon Nov 3 14:15:30 PST 2014

... especially enjoyed being in the bar with the band after the gig,
> swapping jokes, tall tales and musicians' anecdotes.

And the audience, too.

> My fondest memory of him was a gig in an Edinburgh hotel bar on the last
> day of the Edinburgh Jazz Festival in the late 1980's. The band was Doc
> Cheatham, Roy Williams, Acker, Brian Lemon, Len Skeat and me,

Wow!

> and this was the gig here Acker "got off" on Brian's harmonic inventions.
> But it wasn't just Acker who was at the top of his game: it was one of
> those gigs where nobody could put a foot wrong and the whole band swung
> fiercely and inventively. For years after, I was regularly asked by all the
> guys involved if a recording of the concert had ever surfaced, as it was a
> memorable gig for everyone concerned. So far, nothing has been unearthed,
> but he survivors all live in hope as it would make a fantastic memento and
> live recording.

Memento?  I wasn't there, but if anything does surface, please count me in!

> So Vale Acker; it was an honour and a great pleasure to know you.

I'll drink to that!   I am hosting the jazz evening next Thursday, and we
shall certainly play some Acker and Brian, and drink to the meory of both!

Cheers