[Dixielandjazz] Acker

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Mon Nov 3 03:20:25 PST 2014

Acker Bilk was an extremely funny person.
At some time, he had a regular programme on the BBC, "Anchors aweigh."  The
routine was one jazz number, one popular, often extremely humorous, song,
and funny remarks by Bilk in between.  I was addicted.  And I'll never
forget "My English Country Garden!"
As to waistcoats - they were a part of his pop star image rather than his
jazz side.  After all, for a long time Acker Bilk was extremely popular
with non-jazz audience, and recorded lots of non-jazz albums.  But his
greatest hit, "Stranger on the Shore," still sounded a lot like a jazz
musician with strings.
Cheers