[Dixielandjazz] R.I.P. Aker Bilk Memories

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Sun Nov 2 15:25:46 PST 2014

In the late 50s and early 60s, working 7-nights a week, every time we took a break, "Strangers On The Shore" came on the Juke Box. I learned to hate the song.

Then maybe in the 80s some time, I met Aker at a Jazz festival. We had a few drinks together at the bar and had a nice conversation.

I then heard him play the song in person. It was so much better then on the commercial recording that I gained a new appreciation for the song. In fact, after hearing Aker play it, I began to like the song and play it from time to time even now.

-Bob Ringwald
Bob Ringwald Solo Piano, duo, Trio, Quartet
Fulton Street Jazz Band
916/ 806-9551
Amateur (ham) Radio K 6 Y B V

It's only when you see a mosquito landing on your genitals that you realize that
there is always a way to solve problems without using violence.